This is me on a visit to Japan: the character on the left of the picture
in the green anorak is my bodyguard :-).
Gerry Wolff (J Gerard Wolff)
- BA Hons (Cantab)
- PhD (Wales)
- Chartered Engineer
- Member of the British Computer Society (CITP)
- Studied 'natural sciences' (Psychology, Zoology, Geology, Botany)
at Cambridge University. Horace Barlow's lectures
about economical coding in brains
and nervous systems left a big impression which (eventually) led me
to my current research interests (below).
- School teaching (Biology) then training in educational psychology.
- Migrated into research on first language learning using computer
modelling techniques (University Hospital of Wales and University
of Wales, Cardiff).
- Continued the same research with related teaching at the University
of Dundee. An accumulation of evidence pointed to the importance of
information compression in language learning.
- Had a 'brain storm' and went into the computing industry (IBM and
then Praxis Systems). Learned a lot about computing and about management techniques.
Began to realise that information compression was relevant to
a range of issues in computing.
- Returned to academic work (in the School of Informatics, Bangor). The
main focus of research has been developing the SP theory of computing and
cognition (Computing as Compression).
- After 15
years, I have managed to put the main 'planks' of the SP theory in place.
Further development of the ideas and development of their many applications is
continuing at CognitionResearch.org.
2006, I have been Coordinator of Desertec-UK, and, more recently, Energy Fair, The Kyoto2 Support Group (K2S), and Food Plus.
A dialectic deconstruction of an eclectic postmodernistic and
universal simulacrum of hyper-reality - a poststructuralist
logocentric semiology beyond machine-aesthetic epistemology.
I have two children by my first marriage.
My wife and partner is Marianne Jones (see picture below).
When are we going to stop wrecking the planet?
(Desertec-UK, Energy Fair, The Kyoto2 Support Group (K2S), Food Plus), swimming, walking, cooking (now and then), music, films, jokes ....
Which way shall we go? I can remember that the name of the
village began with 'Llan ...'.